We have been selling our limited edition Breast Cancer Awareness card all month long and are so thankful for all the orders we received. As we close out our month of “Pink”, I thought I’d share with you some interesting information, statistics and links, all of which I gleaned from the National Cancer Institute & the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime.
- Over 30% of women diagnosed with Breast Cancer will find out after the cancer has spread beyond the localized stage.
- 200,000 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer this year.
- 40,000 patients will die from the disease.
- For every 100 women with breast cancer, 1 male will develop the disease.
- Breast Cancer is the most common malignancy in women.
- 8 out of 10 breast lumps are not cancerous. If you find a lump, don’t panic-call your doctor for an appointment.
- 70% of all Breast Cancer is found through breast self-exams.
- Mammography can detect Breast Cancer up to 2 years before it is large enough to be felt.
- Onset of the menstrual cycle before 12 & menopause after 50 increases risk of developing Breast Cancer.
- Breast Cancer is the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55.
How do you fight statistics like that? First things first. Every woman should have early detection plan in place. The best way to fight this disease is to detect it in its early stages. If caught early (in the localized stage), the five year survival rate is 98%! Your plan should include reminders to do monthly self-exams, schedule regular mammograms & clinical breast exams. You should also determine your risk for getting this disease by using this very easy Breast Cancer Risk Assessment tool developed by the National Cancer Institute. Please pass this information on to someone you love.
We are donating 40% of all sales of our limited edition card to The National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. Please visit their website and consider your own donation. They are committed to saving lives by increasing awareness of Breast Cancer through education and by providing mammograms for those in need.
We will release our card every October until there is a cure.
More link love…